So this evening we made a quick trip to the ER. Kendra was complaining of chest pain. She has a small history and lately it has been occurring more frequently. But the question always comes to mind as to whether or not she is being honest or trying to get attention that maybe she is lacking. She plays it out so so well, looking back I still want to believe her, but...then there are little things here and there that make me wonder if she is "wise in her own eyes". On the other hand, given her history, I do need to be on guard. So how can you tell if it is real or attention?
5 comments:
ask your dr if there is a way you can tell? Maybe you could take her pulse to see if it is racing or not? I don't know how you could tell but just to be safe the er is there.
If she's really having trouble breathing, her skin should sink in between the ribs a tiny bit or right in the dimple of her neck (especially there) ..kinda under the "adams apple") Also look for purple or dusky finger nails and gums/lips. The doctors won't really do anything till those signs are showing, anyway. However, they do have a little thing that they can put on her finger to measure her oxygen levels, but that would require actually going in...
Of course I know the physical signs. Like I said there is a history. But...the question is...how do I know when the issue is really physical or emotional? As far as her heart goes, she naturally has a irragular rythm that races from time to time. It is the chest pain that she seems to be taking advantage of.
Well its hard to tell, but better to be on the safe side. When I'm unsure of the boys really hurting or just wanting the attention - I try to make it as unfun as possible to be sick. For example, if they complain of a tummy ache then I make them lay down and they can't play games, go outside, etc. If they were just doing it for attention then they would tell me that they don't really feel sick. Also - when Brayden had that mysterious tummy pain a while back - the Dr. thought some of it might have been for attention. So she prescribed a special tummy ache medicine to give him if he was feeling bad. It was really a harmless anti-acid type medicine, but it was mostly for the psychological purpose of "making him feel better". Now if the medicine hadn't worked and he still complained then I would have known that something else was probably going on.
I hope Kendra feels better soon!!
I have irregular heart beats, too. And heart murmurs. I don't notice one, but the other feels like butterflies in the chest when it happens. I have had to wear the "fanny pack" recorder a couple of times now.
Lots of fun!
Post a Comment